Monday, April 22, 2013

Healthy Mama, Happy Family: My Favorite Yoga Poses While Prego

You may have heard the saying, "happy mama, happy family" - well, happy = healthy.  Especially this mama.  I am very sensitive to lack of sleep, poor nutrition, and exercise levels. It's a very conscious effort for me to accept the changes that happen to my body during pregnancy. I have had a better attitude the second time around - maybe I'm more mature? (Wait...one of my favorite things is to instruct Zoe to tell Mike "dada farted...dada stinks." Maybe it's not maturity after all...) Perhaps I am learning and improving on my newly articulated philosophy of balance, seasons, and perspective. I am never going to run like Kara Goucher or look like Mila Kunis, ever. I can, however, be the best mommy, wife, friend,.. that Phae Feaga can be. Provided, of course, that I take care of myself first, in the capacity appropriate for my stage in life.

Yoga is an awesome way to keep strength in your muscles during pregnancy, as well as a great way to stretch out trouble spots. This applies to non-pregnant life as well! Let me show you the poses I'm loving at 7 months prego.

Child's pose

Child's pose is a resting pose in yoga. However, you can make it lazy, or you can use it as a freaking awesome back stretch (turns out carrying a 15-lb bowling ball in front of your body 24/7 (oh and did I mention also carrying a 30-lb toddler?) kind of reams your back)
First, I modify this a little bit by spreading my legs out a little farther than normal to accommodate the bowling ball. Then I reach as far as I can with my fingertips to lift my elbows off the ground. Finally, I take big yoga breaths in and out - at the peak of the breath, I can feel my lungs expanding so much that they are trying to push my ribs out of my skin. Awesome! Repeat.

Cow Pose
Cat pose

Cat/cow pose is a dynamic pose, again targeting the back. Move fluidly from one to the other, holding each one as long as you want. I'm feeling better already!

Pigeon pose
Pigeon pose was my favorite before pregnancy because of running, and it remains my favorite as a pregnant person. Turns out both running and being "in my condition" are both hard on the hips. This is the best hip stretch I've ever found (and I have looked a lot.) I could hold this pose for like, 20 minutes a side and not get tired of it. In fact...I think I'll go do it right now...

Warrior III
Last but not least, warrior 3. I just like this one because you would think the balance poses would be harder with your center of gravity all wonky...but! they are not! Doing a pose like this makes me feel "normal" for a few moments, and it's lovely.

Namaste.
xoxo Phae

2 comments: