Thursday, May 30, 2013

Mama Daughter Dates


"I yuv Menchie's" (this wasn't actually a Menchie's but a similar chain)

One of the most delightful things is taking Zoe on mama/daughter dates. Now, of course we have a lot of 1:1 time, but most often it's doing chores, errands, or everyday life activities like making dinner and getting ready for bed.

Not that those things aren't fun! They are! We usually end up laughing and making a mess. But mama always has an undertone of stress during this "everyday" time together since we are usually trying to keep to some sort of schedule, and/or I'm trying to prevent the entire container of salt/cereal/juice from being poured into a toddler cup of milk and onto/into all adjacent surfaces/crevices/drawers.

That's why mommy/daughter dates are so awesome! We get to go do fun things on our own schedule. No agenda or timeline.  Mama is relaxed, so Zoe is relaxed.  We aren't in the house, so we can make a mess without me stressing about cleaning it up right away.  We get to enjoy new and old things together.  We may even have learning opportunities (one of our spots is Barnes & Noble) to share together!

Playing with the trains at B&N
Zoe's Whole Foods lunch that she picked "all by self"
I think it's super important to HAVE FUN with your child as they grow up.  I can feel the tendency in myself (and I can observe it in others) to just "be the boss" and command your child to do what you say.  But I do my best to fight these tendencies (unless it has to do with safety!!) in everyday life, and to give myself a chance to be Zoe's friend by going on these "dates" with her.  As they say, "the days are long but the years are short," - so I suggest you take a few hours every once in a while to move at your child's pace, loving them, appreciating them, and observing who they are at a given age.  "It won't be like this for long," says Darius Rucker...

What's your favorite "mommy kiddo date"?
xoxo Phae

2 comments:

  1. Wow, what a wonderful post. You always seem to have the "mom thing" figured out. One of my favorite dates with my mom growing up was going to bookstores/the library. That way we had some separate time to look at things, but it was so much fun to show my mom all the books I found. I think also it's a big part of why I ended up reading SO much. It was one of the biggest ways I interacted with my mom, so I grew up loving to read! I think it's awesome you are doing the same thing for Zoe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dad would take me out for dinner for my Name's Day each year. It was a father-son only thing. I was given carte blanche in my menu choice. I would usually pick lobster!

    ReplyDelete